Saturday 2 April 2016

TALES OF A KANO CORPER- HOW I MET ABIKE.


I used to judge people based on their outward appearances or my random instincts. Especially coming to a land where I knew nobody I was ready to unapologetically run down anyone that stood as a threat to me. 

I made friends here early. Infact I have met  more different personalities in one year more than I had seen in my university days. I thought I had seen it all but one true fact I have learnt is I will never stop learning. 

I  met alot of people and the ability to accept them as they were was almost torturing. I never really understood her (lets say her name is Abike). Abike never used to smile and I thought maybe she was finding it hard to adjust to the northern weather condition because she always had a bottle of water close by. It wasn't like I was stalking her but it was easy to notice her. Her glasses brought her out. "See these ajebutter special children",I would usually telling my friend with a naughty giggle whenever I saw her and her friends sitting in a cluster at the corner of the hall.

Orientation camp was over and I was glad I was being released from the four walls surrounding me. I and some other corpers moved into a house and guess who was my roomie? Abike! 
Days and weeks passed and we became casual friends. I don't even know how it happened but I began to see the girl behind the glasses. I was glad I did.

In the end,my goal was to identify and pierce through to what makes them unique. To understand the character that lied at their cores. I have learnt to restrain myself from the natural tendency to judge. 
My days as a Kano corper are numbered. The curtains are drawing closer. So far, I have  opened my heart to people and  I am amazed to discover  the wield ,greater power that lies within them.

No comments:

Post a Comment