Saturday 11 June 2016

CORPORATE BEGGARS

 http://previews.123rf.com/images/javiindy/javiindy1501/javiindy150100180/35751858-Portrait-of-a-black-business-man-walking-on-the-street-with-a-modern-briefcase-Stock-Photo.jpg

        Beggars are everywhere. We see them in shredded clothes and plastic plates with their arms stretched out in sorrowful or sun wrinkled faces. The only thing they live for is the sound of a penny a willing heart chooses to drop on their always empty plate. But nowadays, things have changed. You can't tell if one is a beggar or not because the begging game has turned a new leaf.

         My friend and I managed to walk through the crowded park with our heads tilted down in order not to let the rain drops get into our still dry faces. It wasn't raining heavily neither was it a mild drizzle. It fell on a steady, unending stretch only the ones in a hurry could afford to walk through. "See!!!", my friend exclaimed, "...that's an ATM machine over there".  we walked towards it with the delight of having shelter for a while. As I waited for my friend to used the ATM, I stood and noticed the serious argument between a lady and a man. " why would you tell me the amount to give to you? Are you the owner of the money?", the lady said. The man replied in unclear words, but I could tell that he was trying to defend himself.
         I still wondered what called for this argument. The man seemed well dressed and learned. Why would this lady decide to address him lesser than the way he was dressed? It was when the argument got intense I realized that the gentleman was only a beggar. People call them cooperate beggars. I mean, it is almost like a full time job for the shameless. Able bodied men and women dress up so nicely that you could never tell what their real intentions are. They go to ATM spots and patiently wait for people to withdraw cash and then beg them to give them a piece of the denomination they withdrew. Their excuses are normally, " Excuse me Please, I am stranded and I need X- amount to go to work right now". The amazing ones are children. They wear neat school uniforms and go around begging with the disguise of having no transport fare to go home.
      Its so surprising how beggars have upgraded their begging game. But against all odds, I am impressed by their innovation. Yes, it is cunny, I know. If only they could channel all that passion into chasing better things the world would be a better place. But then again, while in public, we should learn to look carefully at those around us. You never can tell who the beggar is!

No comments:

Post a Comment