Friday 3 June 2016

HOME SWEET HOME!

       
 


 Coming back home was relieving but then again my belly still ached at the thought of how much I missed my Kano days. Somewhere in my heart, I still wish I could rewind the hands of time and go back to my life eleven months ago. Unlike the north, this other part of Nigeria operates on a different level. It took me just this experience to know that I was really back home. As I wandered through the city's central park I got an impromptu reality check. 

   "Hey you", a voice beside me said tapping my shoulder. I turned to see a well dressed guy whom I have never met before. Just in case he had mistaken me for someone else I ignored his call and continued the already ended discussion I was making with my friend who happened to walk along with me. " I dey talk to you ", the strange guy continued, this time with a firmer grip on my elbow. " haba, you know me before? why you dey touch me like that? ", I asked already getting pissed. "my oga dey call you, ee wan see you", he said with a naughty tone and facial expression. I turned to look at the direction his pointed finger faced and I realized that the well dressed guy was just a bus conductor obeying the order of the bus driver whom he was working for. Obviously they were both in the mood to fool around and I was their unsuspecting victim. At first, I wondered why a bus conductor would dress so detailed and then I tried my best to ignore his petty trouble. He still tried to get my attention but this time he kept pulling my arms. Ahh! I began to rain rude words at him and the driver who were obviously having fun as they both replied me in a rude manner too.

   Not being conscious of where I was as a result of the upsetting situation, I had not noticed that I drew a little attention from the people around me. As I paused and took a breathe, I saw a number of curious eyes getting entertained by the dramatic scene. Then I began to wish I made more attempts to resist the urge of my defense mechanism earlier on. In this part of Nigeria, nobody argues or throw words at bus conductors or drivers. They simply know how to play the game better. Meanwhile, my friend just stood beside me trying not to laugh. But it was too late, I caught her right when she gave up and started laughing. The two trouble makers who had just ruined my mood joined in the laughter. Trying not to dwell on the situation, I surprised myself by laughing out too as though it was all a planned out routine on display. I then shook my head in amazement and continued walking through the crowded park with my giggling friend tagging along, reminding myself once again that I was back home...oh sweet home!




1 comment:

  1. And that sounds like benin city..lolz.. welcome home truly...

    ReplyDelete